March 2, 2019
In the third episode of the Champions Podcast, our hosts Mike Rubin and Coach Phil are joined by Luke Wollet, former Kent State and New Orleans Saints safety. Luke shares his incredible faith journey, and talks about the career-ending battle with drug addiction. We get our second segments of "Eli Wants to Know" and "Coaches Corner". Some interesting nuggets from our conversation with Luke:
*"I am thankful that God transformed one of the greatest pains and darkest times into a purpose."
* He talks about how one "innocent" decision to take a percocet to help with pain, turned into a full blown heroin addiction.
* He talked about running to the bathroom to get high during a workout with the New Orleans Saints.
* "The football mentality of handling your own problems. You got yourself into something, you get yourself out."
* "The number one thing the enemy wants is for us to be isolated"
* Coach Phil shared the mindset of many coaches, "We don't want to know as coaches, we want to win and if I know, then I have to do something about it."
* "Winning can't be the goal, it has to be the byproduct."
* Luke talks about getting to the point where he felt like the world would be better without him here and then the divine appointment of his father driving four and a half hours and showing up at his door that night.
* "I didn't have the courage to ask for help, but thank God I had the courage to accept it."
* Being told to read Esther 4:14 and the impact of that.
* "It's relationship over religion"
Bible Verses Discussed
* James 4:8a - Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. (ESV)
* Romans 10:9 - because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (ESV)
* John 10:10 - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. (ESV)
*Banyan Treatment Center: https://www.banyantreatmentcenter.com/ (888)- 493-4429
*Standing in the Presence of Greatness by David Kohout Buy on Amazon
* Jordan B Peterson - YouTube page . Podcast
*To learn more about FCA www.fca.org
*To financially champion FCA in Southwest York County, PA my.fca.org/mikerubin
February 6, 2019
In the second episode of the Champions Podcast, our hosts Mike Rubin and Coach Phil are joined by Washington Redskins punter and University of Oklahoma graduate Tress Way who shares his faith journey. We also get the first segment of â€śEli Wants to Knowâ€ť and â€śCoaches Cornerâ€ť.Â
Some interesting nuggets from our interview with Tress
- He shares how he navigated temptation in high school
- â€śGodâ€™s Word is a giant love letterâ€ť
- He shares the athletic accomplishment that he is most proud of.
- â€śPeople often compare their realities with other peoples highlightsÂ
- He talks about the importance of getting on your knees and crying out to God
- He talks about the role FCA played in keeping him out of trouble
- â€śIf they claim their identity is in Christ, then everything should follow suit with that.â€ť
- The Bri and Tress Engagement video-Â Click this link
- Whatâ€™s Your Bid game - Currently sold out of Amazon. Keep your eye out for version 2.0 coming soon.