- Grew up in a home where faith was the number one thing
- Most important role we will have (as parents) in our kids life is to lead them to Christ.
- Being a parent is part of parenting your kids
- Talks about how his dad was bound and determined when he got saved to raise his kids in a Christian home.Â Â When Don was five his dad took all five kids on a fishing trip and this will be the 50th year of the trip. No one has ever missed. It grew from original 7 to 53 and no one has ever missed. Every person that is of age and understands salvation is saved.
- The most important thing we can give our children is a legacy in Christ and plant the seeds early.
- Talks about being the Bills first pick in the 1989 NFL Draft
- Talks about getting boldness
- Talks about putting his faith in the Lord at 8 years old
- Chaplain at Cal State Heyward whereÂ TedÂ played football began to invest inÂ TedÂ weekly and would give him scripture to memorize and it was at that point that a fire was lit in him
- Talks about a when his faith came to a crossroads while umping in the minors
- Talks about struggles of trying to fit in with the big league umpires and not wanting to be rejected because of his faith
- Shared how at he had testimony cards made up and handed them out at the umpire union meetings and he came home and told his wife that he thought he committed career suicide because no one wants to hang out with the Jesus guy. A month later the crew chief came into town and told him that he was the most requested guy to be on peoples umpire crews
- Talks about an umpire retreat he started several years ago where 12 major and minor league umpires attended the first year and now around 60 attend each year.
- â€śYou think you canâ€™t do it, youâ€™re right but the Holy Spirit canâ€ť
- CFC is the ministry Calling for Christ
- Talks about the moment he got the call that he was going to be a big league umpire
- Talks about the Game 6 call Sam Holbrook made
- Talks about his legacy and how he wants to be remembered
- Talks about the time Chris Singleton boldly gave him the courage to tellÂ TedÂ he wasnâ€™t representing Christ the best after he cursed out a coach
- Talks about umping in perfect games, World Series games and the longest World Series game
Champions Podcast - Episode 11 - Jacquise Terry - Former Kent State Football Player/Owner of Empower Youniversity
- Talks about the impact of his momâ€™s faith was a huge catalyst in his faith journey.
- Shares about the impact that his Uncle had on his life and how seeing him the hospital lead to Jacquise praying as a 12-year old his first true prayer.
- He shares about navigating his newfound faith with trying to fit in while in high school and college
- Talks about the struggle of seeing God as a Heavenly Father, without growing up with an earthly father
- Talks about the love and validation that he was searching for in God, he found in sports
- Speaks into how freedom can either be a gift or a curse
- Talks about his journey to professional football and learning the politics of the NFL
- Talks about how God is using Empower YOUniversity to reach at risk youth.
- Link to Empower YOUniversity -Â https://empoweryouniversity.net/Â younversity_ent on Instagram
- Talks about growing up in the church but how he slowly walked away from faith as he entered college. He calls it the 3 Gâ€™s, girls, golf and good times!
- Working for Shawn Oâ€™Hara and he was doing well. He was considered one of the top caddies in the world, but was still feeling completely empty. He had money, homes, relationship with a girl he wanted but nothing filled the whole inside. Summer of 2010 he decided to do something about it. He was the reason for the broken relationship sand broken problems and he was baptized. That was his transformational moment
- Talks about how once he was saved he thought everything would get better, but it didnâ€™tÂ
- Talks about how Webb Simpson won the ACC Championship and that was his goal as a college player, his senior year he won, he had accomplished what he set out to do and woke up the next morning and had this massive feeling of sadness and depression and didnt know what it was. But later was told by a mentor that this is what it was like to have an idol, accomplish and idol and realize that the idol will never satisfy us
- Talks about how he got into being a caddie and what a day in the life of a caddie looks like
- Talks about his son Isaiah who has Down syndrome
- He talks about the Tesori Family Foundation. Raised almost $1 mil since 2014. All Star Kids Clinics for kids with Special Needs. Visit atÂ tesorifamilyfoundation.org
- Growing up in the projects and his mother being murdered when he was 10 months old
- By 11 years old, he was in a gang
- The basketball court was his refuge from a life of turmoil
- "Christianity is not about behavior modification, but heart transformation"
- "Salvation is not an event but a person"
- "Our job is to believe that God will do His job"
- "There's so much pressure for winning, that coaches aren't being present."
- "Some plant, some water, but God gives the increase."
- "Our job is to put the hands of menin the hands of God"
- "The cross was not a tragedy, it was an accomplishment"
- Mo shares about a year of depression and anxiety and how she was searching for, "Any sin sized piece to fill the God-sized hole in my heart."
- She shared how God literally used wrecking her to capture her heart.
- Psalm 46:10- "Be still, and knowÂ that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
- "Jesus didn't die on the cross for my sins. He died on the cross BECAUSE of my sins"
- She shares about how one of the ways the enemy can distract us is by not allowing us to face any adversity so it causes us to not understand a need for God, Jesus or the still small voice.
- "At the core, I am a sinner in need of a savior"
- One question many of us ask is what does the faith walk cost me? It doesn't matter cause look at what I gained.
- One of the places Mo gained community was through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
- "We are not just here, we are His.
- Verses that have impacted Mo
- Psalm 46:10- Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
- John 16:33- I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
- Romans 5:3-5- Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
- She shares about her journey trying out for LSU football
- We have another Eli Wants to Know and Coaches Corner.
In episode 7, Mike and his guest co-host and wife Shannon interview Mo Isom. Mo is a former LSU soccer star, and NY Times best selling author. She travels the world speaking and is also a blogger. Moâ€™s testimony is so incredible that we had to break this up into two parts. In part one, she shares how she handled the pressure of being a student-athlete at one of the top college programs in the country. The shares about the crazy highs and lows of her freshman year at LSU that included a 90-yard goal that landed her on SportsCenterâ€™s Top 10 plays and the lows of her father taking his life while she was home for Christmas break and much more. Give it a listen, share with a friend, and please, leave a review!
In the sixth episode of the Champions Podcast hosts Mike Rubin and Coach Phil are joined by Ritchie Palacios, former Towson University baseball player and current member of the Cleveland Indians organization. Ritchie shares what it was like during draft day, how his faith grew during college, the benefits of having a brother who plays in professional baseball as well (Josh, with the Toronto Blue Jays organization), how he has relied on his faith while recovering from a torn labrum.
We also have another edition of Eli Wants to Know and Coaches Corner!
- Exodus 13
- Sometimes God will lead us in a roundabout way
- Sometimes we have obstacles in life but on the other end of those obstacles, God is glorified.
- Tessa was the NCAA Elite 90 Award winner at the National Championship opening banquet.
- Numbers 20
Â Â Â - When the Holy Spirit commands you, don't strike the Rock. Trust God even in your fear
- ""This life is not about us
- "Jesus tells us, you follow me and you will be met with persecution and that means you are doing it right."
- Luke 9:23 - "And he said to all, " If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."
- Colossians 3:23- "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for me."
*If you are interested in having a cross bracelet made for yourself, and/or your team send a DM toÂ @1KingRevival and Tessa would be honored to have them made for you free of charge.Â
To learn more about FCAÂ www.fca.org
To financially champion FCA in Southwest York County, PAÂ my.fca.org/mikerubin
In the third episode of the Champions Podcast, our hosts Mike Rubin and Coach Phil are joined by Luke Wollet, former Kent State and New Orleans Saints safety. Luke shares his incredible faith journey, and talks about the career-ending battle with drug addiction. We get our second segments of "Eli Wants to Know" and "Coaches Corner". Some interesting nuggets from our conversation with Luke:
*"I am thankful that God transformed one of the greatest pains and darkest times into a purpose."
* He talks about how one "innocent" decision to take a percocet to help with pain, turned into a full blown heroin addiction.
* He talked about running to the bathroom to get high during a workout with the New Orleans Saints.
* "The football mentality of handling your own problems. You got yourself into something, you get yourself out."
* "The number one thing the enemy wants is for us to be isolated"
* Coach Phil shared the mindset of many coaches, "We don't want to know as coaches, we want to win and if I know, then I have to do something about it."
* "Winning can't be the goal, it has to be the byproduct."
* Luke talks about getting to the point where he felt like the world would be better without him here and then the divine appointment of his father driving four and a half hours and showing up at his door that night.
* "I didn't have the courage to ask for help, but thank God I had the courage to accept it."
* Being told to read Esther 4:14 and the impact of that.
* "It's relationship over religion"
Bible Verses Discussed
* James 4:8a - Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. (ESV)
* Romans 10:9 - because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (ESV)
* John 10:10 - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. (ESV)
*Banyan Treatment Center: https://www.banyantreatmentcenter.com/ (888)- 493-4429
*Standing in the Presence of Greatness by David Kohout Buy on Amazon
* Jordan B Peterson - YouTube page . Podcast
*To learn more about FCA www.fca.org
*To financially champion FCA in Southwest York County, PA my.fca.org/mikerubin
In the second episode of the Champions Podcast, our hosts Mike Rubin and Coach Phil are joined by Washington Redskins punter and University of Oklahoma graduate Tress Way who shares his faith journey. We also get the first segment of â€śEli Wants to Knowâ€ť and â€śCoaches Cornerâ€ť.Â
- He shares how he navigated temptation in high school
- â€śGodâ€™s Word is a giant love letterâ€ť
- He shares the athletic accomplishment that he is most proud of.
- â€śPeople often compare their realities with other peoples highlightsÂ
- He talks about the importance of getting on your knees and crying out to God
- He talks about the role FCA played in keeping him out of trouble
- â€śIf they claim their identity is in Christ, then everything should follow suit with that.â€ť
- The Bri and Tress Engagement video-Â Click this link
- Whatâ€™s Your Bid game - Currently sold out of Amazon. Keep your eye out for version 2.0 coming soon.
To learn more about FCA - www.fca.org